Brass of the Month
November 2003: Tattershall, Lincolnshire
November's brass of the month features a monument now in the north transept of the church of Holy Trinity, Tattershall, Lincolnshire. The brass has been relaid in a slab which has rivets of the inscription from another brass; the originbal slab no longer survives. All that remains of this composition is a figure of a priest, though it must originally have had at least an inscription. Many inscriptions on brasses were deliberately destroyed by iconoclasts during the Reformation, but in this case the cause was probably neglect. Eighteenth and nineteenth century accounts of the brasses at Tattershall tell a sorry tale of plates from the fine collection of brasses lying loose in the church. But with no inscription, how can we tell whom this brass commemorates?
Fortunately in the case of this brass there are a number of clues as to the identity of the person commemorated. The 60 ins. high figure shows a priest in processional vestments. Over his cassock and surplice he wears a cope, fastened by a large square morse decorated by a demi-
Although the College was licenced in 1439, building works progressed slowly and the new church was not begun until after Ralph's death in 1455/6. Ralph died childless, but the work was continued by his executors, aided by Maud, Lady Willoughby, one of his two nieces and co-
Stylistic analysis of the brass shows that it is an early 16th century product of the London F workshop, based in St. Paul’s churchyard and run by James Reames. It has long been recognised that the figure is virtually identical to another brass from the same workshop at Trinity Hall, Cambridge. This commemorates Walter Hawke, twelfth master, who died in 1517; however the date in the inscription was left blank, indicating that Hawke had his brass made during his own lifetime, probably in the first decade of the 16th century. This provides a likely date of engraving of c.1500-
Two Wardens of Tattershall College could have had a brass made at this period: John Gygur, Warden 1456-
Though the original slab is lost, the antiquary Richard Gough saw it when he visited Tattershall in 1762. He recorded 'At the west end by the last seat on the north side of the choir is the figure five feet long of a priest in brass. The stone is ten feet and a half long by four feet seven inches; and over him was a canopy filled with saints'. The size of the surviving figure exactly Gough's description. The inscription had gone by Gough's time but it remained in the 1630s, when Gervase Holles visited Tattershall. He recorded on the north side of the chancel a fragmentary inscription ‘on a marble’, a term normally referring to a brass. The inscription read: Orate pro anima m’ri Johannis Gigur bacculaur Theologie custodis huius collegii ac etiam … collegii Marton in Oxonia qui obiit xii die … (Pray for the soul of Master John Gigur, Bachelor of Theology, who was warden of this college and also …. Merton College, Oxford, who died on 12th day …) .
Master John Gygur, a Bachelor of Theology, had a distinguished administrative career. He was a fellow of Eton College from 1453 and bursar there from 1454-
Click here for the Brass of the Month feature
Copyright © 2002 Monumental Brass Society (MBS)
Page last updated 07 November 2003