Brass of the Month
Copyright © 2014 Monumental Brass Society (MBS)
Page last updated 04 March 2015
Print this page:
November 2014 -
Malcolm Norris, ‘Palimpsest finds at Middle Claydon, Bucks.’, TMBS, vol xi, part vi,pp. 463-
http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/printable/55407 (Sir John Donne)
Copyright: Jon Bayliss
The church of All Saints at Middle Claydon stands close to the house of the Verney family, now a National Trust property. In 1495 the Verneys leased the manor of Middle Claydon, which they had acquired in 1465, to Roger Gifford for ninety-
The brass effigies commemorating Roger and Mary Gifford is extraordinarily large for the period but those of the children are no bigger than would be found with much smaller effigies. Surprisingly for this period, the reverses of the main effigies are blank apart from a portion of Mary's head but the inscription and the two plates of children are reused material. The reverse of the inscription has another inscription, to Walter Bellingham alias Irelonde, king of arms of Ireland, and his wife Elizabeth, who both died in 1487. Their brass was in the Priory of St John at Clerkenwell.
Behind the figures of the daughters there is a four line inscription, lacking the year of death, commemorating Sir John Doon. It had been thought that this brass was originally in St George's Chapel, Windsor, but the day of death given in the inscription, 3rd August, is not consistent with with a death in the short period of three weeks between Sir John Donne or Doon making his will of on 23rd January 1502/3 and the grant of probate on 13th January the same year. He was buried at Windsor. The script was dated by Malcolm Norris as c.1505 in his description of the palimpsests before a postscript to his article made the connection with Sir John Donne at Windsor but it could equally be ten years later. Sir John Donne was a major figure: he has an entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography and he and his wife were depicted on the wings of a triptych by Hans Memling. He was buried next to Edward IV and Donne's brother-
Roger Gifford rebuilt the chancel of the church in 1519, as a surviving inscription over the door shows. His brass is not the only Gifford memorial inside. There is a brass to Isabelle Gifford who died in 1523. She seems to have been pregnant when she died to judge from her dress but it is not clear how she fits into the family. Perhaps she was the wife of one of Roger's sons but one of whom no other record remains. An alabaster tomb with the effigy of a lady commemorates Margaret, died 1539, the wife of Roger's second son George. He had probably acquired this tomb for her during in his part in the dissolution of the monasteries in the Midlands, which was extensive. Were it not for the sleeves of the effigy – a few years out of date – and the atypical incised inscription, it would not arouse suspicion but there is an excess of heraldry in the form of eight large shields around the sides of the tomb-
Within five years of his Roger's death hiss eldest son John died. John willed to be buried in the churhyard at neighbouring Hillesden. George, the next brother, died in late 1557 and was buried at Middle Claydon. Initially trained as a lawyer, he was a receiver of the Court of Augmentations for the counties of Leicstershire, Northamptonshire, Rutland and Warwickshire from 1536 until the court was dissolved by Mary I in 1554, a commissioner for the suppression of the monasteries for the same counties from 1536 to 1539, a chantries commissioner for Herefordshire and Worcestshire in 1546 and for Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire in 1547 and a commissioner for the goods of churches and fraternities in 1553. He was also chamberlain of the household of Anne of Cleves and sat as an MP in at least two parliaments. Despite his part in the dismantling of the structures of the catholic church, he was a catholic and was knighted by Mary in 1554. His brother Ralph also sat as an MP and, like George, was an esquire of the body in Henry VIII's funeral cortege. He was settled at Steeple Claydon but predeceased George. The fourth brother, William, was, like George, one of those who rallied to Mary in the disputed succession after Edward VI's death. He seems to have died in late 1556. The youngest brother, Nicholas, was still alive when John made his will but died in 1546. He had been in royal service and had also taken part in the dissolution of the monasteries.
The brass of Roger and Mary Gifford is an intriguing one both for the sheer size of its effigies – Roger's is over five feet long – and the mysteries it conceals on its reverse.
The reverse side of the daughters